Guys. I’m so excited. Gluten free scallion pancakes actually exist. I mean, why wouldn’t they? I just hadn’t looked until now. Our farm box is in full swing. Last week we got scallions and they wilted in my fridge. Determined to use them up while they were still fresh, I decided it was time to find a recipe that was both gluten free friendly and easy.
In true fashion, I read lots of recipes, learned the technique, then made my own version. So here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour (if you’re making these with good old regular gluten flour, just substitute the first two ingredients with 1 1/2 cups of flour)
- 1 bunch of scallions, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (scissors work really well here)
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water
- 1 tsp salt
Combine all of the ingredients together and let rest for a few minutes. Meanwhile, make your dipping sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten free tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- dash of ginger
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of red pepper flakes
Combine together and set aside.
Heat a medium to large skillet. Spray lightly with Pam or grease using a little canola oil. Measure 1/4 cup of batter out on the pan. 2 to 3 pancakes should fit. Lower heat to medium and cook 3 minutes per side.